https://vanislemarina.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/logo-web.png 0 0 Van Isle Marina https://vanislemarina.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/logo-web.png Van Isle Marina2015-12-09 12:00:372018-04-03 13:30:1510 Tips to Help Storm Proof Your Boat
10 Tips to Help Storm Proof Your Boat
Guests of Van Isle Marina know that we are fortunate enough to be protected from winter winds. However, it is always helpful to be aware of strategies for weathering a storm. Here are some tips to help keep your boat safe:
- Check the weather forecast. Be aware of how long you have to prepare for the upcoming storm.
- Double the lines on your boat. Use spring lines to limit boat movement.
- If possible, do not stay aboard your vessel during a storm.
- Double wrap your lines around the tie rail. Install chafe gear where the mooring lines touch the pilings, boat or tie rails.
- Add fenders to prevent boat from bouncing off the dock or your neighbour, more is better!
- Clean bilge of debris and check all pumps to ensure they are functioning correctly.
- Secure all loose gear and clear any items which may clog scuppers and drains.
- Secure and lock all hatches and port lights.
- Remove or secure anything which may increase wind resistance: biminis, canvas covers, antennas, deck-stowed anchors, sails, running rigging, booms, life rings, dinghies and so on. Besides reducing windage, you eliminate the probability of these items being damaged or blown away.
- Check your battery to ensure it is working correctly and that your shore power cord is plugged in, twist locked, and secured to the pedestal.
What are your top tips for keeping your boat safe? Share this post on Facebook or Twitter and let us know!